Preparing For Storage
- Rent a storage unit with a little bit of extra space so you can move around, and add any last minute items.
- Purchase moving boxes and supplies. We have a variety of packing supplies for sale in our office.
- If possible, try to use uniformly sized boxes for easy stacking.
- Make up an inventory list of your items and keep it in a safe place (at home or in a safe deposit box) away from the unit.
- List contents of boxes on all four sides; number the boxes and seal with tape.
- Be sure your boxes are strong enough to hold 25-30 pounds (although we suggest not putting too much in each box).
Protecting Your Items
- Maintain insurance on your items and keep your rental information in a safe place.
- Plastic storage totes make a great platform, as any concrete floor may become cold and damp.
- Dishes and glasses should be wrapped in paper and packed in sturdy boxes. Stack them on top.
- Pictures and mirrors should be wrapped in cardboard, marked “FRAGILE” and stacked on end.
- Avoid placing sharp or heavy objects on top of upholstered furniture.
- Cover stuffed furniture with furniture bags or blankets to protect against dust.
- If you stand mattresses on their sides, prop them up so they stand upright and use mattress bags to protect them.
- Wipe any items made of metal - bikes, metal tables, tools, etc. - with machine oil to prevent rusting.
Packing Your Storage Unit
- Plan your storage space. Place items that you may need to access often near the front of the unit.
- Try to leave an aisle down the center of the storage unit for easier access. Leave a small space between the walls and boxes to allow for air circulation.
- Stack heavier boxes on the bottom and lighter boxes on top.
- Put TVs and other electronics in the rear of your unit.
- Shovels, hoes, rakes, and hoses can be stored together in empty trash cans. Stack extra cans inside each other.
- Tables that have removable legs can be disassembled to save space.
- Sofas and loveseats can be stored on end to save floor space. Wrap cushions in plastic and place on top of sofas.
- Furniture with drawers can be utilized as storage places for small items. Wrap them in tablecloths, towels, or blankets to prevent breakage.
View our FAQs page for answers to all of our frequently asked questions.